Roles and Responsibilities
- Respect and support your teammates, coaches, officials and opponents at all times.
- Give 100% effort at each practice and meet.
- Display good sportsmanship at all times both on and off the pool deck.
- Don’t be afraid to make a mistake; that’s part of learning.
- Listen to and learn from your coaches.
- Be modest in victory and gracious in defeat.
- Teach and practice good sportsmanship at all meets and practices. You are role models!
- Respect the sport. Respect the officials. Respect the coaches.
- Do not coach your child. Let swimmers swim and coaches coach, and support both positively.
- NEVER criticize other swimmers, coaches or officials regardless of the circumstances.
- Follow the “24 Hour Rule”. If you have a complaint resulting from a meet (or practice) situation, speak with the coach on the following day.
- Emphasize the FUN of the sport and the benefits of training, competing and putting forth effort at all times. Do not emphasize winning or beating another swimmer.
- Any conduct, including abusive language and/or gestures, racially insensitive remarks, damage to property or belongings, or any other conduct that reflects poorly on you, the Darien YMCA, and/or the Piranhas is deemed to be unacceptable and will not be tolerated. This rule applies to all swimmers, parents, siblings and guests at all times when at meets and/or practices, on the pool deck, in the locker rooms or any other associated facilities.
- You represent the Piranhas and the Darien YMCA during any meet or practice, home or away. Any conduct such as shoplifting, destruction of property, illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol, or any other questionable activity will not be tolerated. This rule applies for the entire duration of such meet or practice.
- The Piranha coaching staff and the Executive Director of the Darien YMCA will deal with unacceptable conduct at their sole discretion, imposing warnings, suspension or expulsion, as they deem appropriate. ANY SUSPENSION OR EXPULSION FROM THE TEAM BASED ON VIOLATIONS OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT WILL NOT BE ACCOMPANIED BY ANY REFUNDS. Approved by the Piranha Parents Association on September 23, 2007.