How to Join
New swimmers must register for the Spring, Fall or Winter Stroke Clinic to be evaluated for placement on the Team. The Spring Clinic is for the Summer season (April-July), Fall Clinic is for the Winter Season (Sept-March), Winter Clinic is for any available space in House and/or Piranhas that remains after the Fall. Through these clinics all swimmers will be evaluated and some swimmers will be invited to join Piranhas, some will be invited to join House and some will be referred to YMCA lessons or put on a wait list. Please see “Stroke Clinic” under the Program tab for more information.
If your swimmer want to join mid-season and there is no clinic being offered, we can arrange a private or siblings evaluation for a fee. Please contact Mary or Jason in the Piranha office to make arrangements.
Competitive Swimming Year
The Piranhas compete in two “seasons” throughout the September – August year. The short course (SC) season features meets that are swum in 25 yard pools (like our pool) from September until March. The long course (LC) season features meets that are swum in 50 Meter pools (the Olympic Distance) from March/early April to July/early August. All swimmers are required to sign up for the full two seasons except for the Short season training group, which has the option of 4 eleven week sessions. SC and LC “seasons” both end with Championship meets for all levels of swimmers. Please see the Swim Meet portion of the Handbook for more details and Championship meet descriptions.
All returning Piranhas will receive a Registration Packet by email in JULY or early AUGUST. You cannot register without this packet and you cannot register online for Piranhas, Short season or House swimming. 2022 returning swimmers will have until Friday Aug 19th before the stroke clinic begins to complete their registration and be guaranteed a spot on the Team.
Required at Time of Registration
- Membership to the Darien YMCA
- Training Fee
- All Families will have the opportunity to pay training fees in 8 installments.
- Information on YMCA Financial Assistance is available on request.
- Piranha Parents Association (PPA) Dues.
- USA Swimming Registration (once per year).
- Family volunteer fee (refundable)
Required Through the Course of the Season
- Soon after registration, create a family portal using the Piranha Active Network.
- Each swimmer is required to buy the Team Uniform. Please see the ‘Team Gear page for more details.
- Fundraising: Each Piranha family is also required to participate in the Team’s fundraisers. Please see the ‘Fundraiser‘ page for more details.
- Senior swimmer travel is arranged for selected meets. For these meets a fee will be identified in advance.
- The Darien YMCA does not provide accident insurance for injuries sustained during YMCA activities. Participants in programs use the facility at their own risk. Members are encouraged to have personal medical insurance coverage.
Any and all cancellations will be posted on the homepage and social media pages and emailed when possible. Participants may also call the YMCA at 655-8228 ext 1397 to determine if practice is being held.